Yesterday I spent most of the day on a horseback riding tour to La Paz waterfall. Eight of us from the USAC group went. We took the bus at 8:45am and were met at the La Paz bus stop by one of the other USAC students' tico friend. After just a short walk we arrived at the stables and were each paired with a horse. Because I had ridden before I was given one particular horse. Oh yikes. Haha!
The ride to and from the falls was about 1.5 hours long. Just on the trip to the falls my horse tried to buck me twice and was stubborn and refused to respond or take my lead at several other points! Knowing that fear or lack of control would portray to the horse that it was okay to do this, I reacted with confidence and calm...I was a firm hand and by the time we reached the falls he understood. Haha! The ride, even despite this, was absolutely gorgeous! The weather was misty and cool the whole way and the foliage was lush and green per usual. =)
To reach the waterfall we hiked in a half mile, across several little creeks and through some serious mud; boy was I glad I had my chacos!
The waterfall itself was spectacular! When I walked up to it I couldn't help but let out a "wow" and just stare at it. We sat at its base and munched our lunches while the cold spray hit our faces. Although it was freezing, I'm so glad we took the time to enjoy the spot and the sheer magnitude of the fall.
On the return trip from the falls my horse started out a bit skiddish once more - racing off and trying to buck me within the first 1/4 mile. After this incident however, I took a slightly different approach. In addition to being firm and clear in my authority I took time to talk to the horse, click in its ear, scratch its mane and neck, and give affirmation when commands were followed. The horse responded so sweetly to this it blew my mind. He was steady and perfect the whole rest of the way back! At one point he even stopped mid-trail and looked back at me as I scratched him on the neck. By the time we reach the stables once more I trusted and adored the horse. We had become friends. =) I really was a rewarding experience.
About Me
- Hannah
- Hannah Fugle
SKYPE: hannahfugle
EMAIL: hfugle@calpoly.edu
Search This Blog
Followers
Powered by Blogger.
Powered by WordPress
©
Pura Vida - Designed by Matt, Blogger templates by Blog and Web.
Powered by Blogger.
Powered by Blogger.
0 comments: