Goodbyes

My flight is delayed, my baggage cost way way too much to check...but I am peaceful and at rest.
God has blessed me so abundantly in these last four months and the last few hours have allowed me to reflect on that.
This morning Monse cooked me two fried eggs, per usual, and Amanda ran to the corner panaderia for some bread. We all ate together just like it was any other morning. That felt really good!
But after breakfast, the tears started. Monse, being sick, was not coming to the airport and so said her goodbye early. She told me she loved me and hugged and kissed me like a Mama kisses her children. I was then told how much she has enjoyed having me and that she would miss me. To which I replied the same. I told Monse that the family was the hardest thing to leave and she smiled and told me I would always have a place in their family and home. She told me it really has been special to have a Christian as it is so different from when they hosted their other four students. Our hearts are connected. Monse also thanked me with deep appreciation for praying for the family. She said she had sensd my care and prayers. =) And how sweet, because I really had and have vowed to pray for the family and church.
Next, it was Fede's turn. Hah! He gathered the family around and prayed for me. Fede thanked God for my coming and the blessing I have been. Then he prayed for my safety and my future. I was a heaving mess as Monse and Fede spoke on either side of me and Amanda stroked my hair from behind. Even Ignacio grabbed my hand when he began to understand the weight of the situation. I was just overcome by the amazing grace of God. These four months, this family, the care and love they feel towards me, my future... As we all blubbered and huddled together I opened my eyes to smile at Ignacio and the next thing I knew he had let out a huge belch and then a "Perdon"! Hahaha! We all lost it! God's timing of comic relief was perfect. The laughter and joy reminded me that the tears signify a deep love and joy tht is only represented by sadness upon seperation. The gifts of God are endless.
On the ride to the airport Fede and I talked about my time in Costa Rica, my future, and God's plans for his family. He was so real and it was cute, like he was trying to tell me all the things he's been longing to tell me or wanted me to know before I flew away. He told me he's not really sure what the future holds for them as a family, but him and Monse both have the sense that their time at Olivo Verde may be coming to an end. Fede talked of his feeling like God may be calling them to bilingual ministry in the States! Wow! He asked that I pray, and I promised I would. =) As well, Fede mentioned what a blessing my presence had been in their home. Somehow my attitude and outlook had helped the family greatly over the previous 3 months.
When we reached the airport, Fede helped me to the curb with all my bags and then took me in for a big hug. He held me so solidly and spoke into my ear, "I love you" and "It's never been this hard to say bye to a student." He pulled away, kissed my forehead, nose and cheek and then gave me one more squeeze. I love that man! Our hearts truly are forever-bonded.
Praise God from whom all blessings flow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment