I arrived home from my vacation on Thursday night and spent most of Friday resting and recouping. Hah! I hadn't realized how exhausted I'd become from all the days in the sun, late nights, and early mornings. I did practically nothing, but it felt so good. =)
In the evening I was invited by Fede and Monse to attend a women's event at the church. I was dragging with exhaustion, but accepted anyway. My heart had been desperate for the chance to commune in the body of Christ again. It had been two weeks since I'd last been to church and this fact had taken its toll. (Honestly I was amazed at what a weight I felt because I hadn't realized I was being fed and fulfilled as much as I was by attending a church in a language I am only half-way decent at understanding and speaking. But this just goes to show that church is more about approaching the spirit of God in spirit. When my heart is reverent and my world calm, I can glimpse my savior and praise him, no matter where I am. Amen.) The event was a wonderful opportunity to become closer to the women of the church and I sensed their desire to reach out to me as I reached out to them and stepped out in faith to attend a more intimate church event. I felt loved like I'm loved by the ladies of my churches in the states - hugged, touched, drawn in... And, more importantly, I felt spiritually filled and satisfied.
Saturday morning I returned to the church with Fede to help many of the ladies (and with the help of several men) make homemade tamales! Fede knew I would love to learn the recipe and so did everything he could explain the steps, rotate me through the tasks, poke me into the assembly line, and, of course, take pictures. Haha! He is so sweet to me. =) So, I spent about two and a half hours with greasy hands, and a big smile, building tamales and wrapping them in banana leaves.
It was a blast and I am so looking forward to recreating them when I return home! My only task will first be finding banana leaves...I don't known where the heck to get them in the states! Hahaha! In the afternoon I had volleyball. On route I was caught in a rainstorm and arrived to the gym literally soaked. Hah! When it rains here, it RAINS!! I wrung out my shoes and socks and decided to play anyways...it was a good decision. I never seem to regret playing volleyball. =) After the practice was over, I gathered the courage to finally ask the coach about playing in the games. She looked at me in surprised and said, "Claro!" or "Sure!". Judging by her response, she had not expected me to want to play with them, but was happy to have me! She told me their next game is this upcoming weekend and that they would love for me to play. =) At this time, she also invited me to play volleyball on Tuesday nights at the gym right by my house. I guess this night of playing is a group of the better players from the team. Looks like volleyball may now be a part of three days of my week. Yeeeee!
Sunday I woke with excitement because it was, well, Sunday, and I knew I would get to go to church again! The service was good, per usual, and I was delighted with amount of sermon I was able to track. My Spanish truly is improving. =)
On Sunday afternoon I had the wonderful chance to successfully complete FOUR skype dates. Haha! Friend: check. Roommate: check. Sister: check. Mama: check. What a delightful afternoon! =) I was one happy camper. And what are the only two things that could make the day better...ice cream and the first Star Wars (in Spanish). Oh, wait...check!
It was a good weekend. =)
About Me
- Hannah
- Hannah Fugle
SKYPE: hannahfugle
EMAIL: hfugle@calpoly.edu
Search This Blog
Followers
Powered by Blogger.
Powered by WordPress
©
Pura Vida - Designed by Matt, Blogger templates by Blog and Web.
Powered by Blogger.
Powered by Blogger.




Nina | October 11, 2011 at 9:10 PM
Hannah! You can find banana leaves in the frozen section of asian grocery stores :)
Hannah | October 12, 2011 at 10:11 AM
Ahhh...Nina! Yay, and thank you so much!
I can't wait to return home so we can laugh, nerd out, cook, study, chat, bake, and watch movies together! I miss you dearly. =)