My God, Their God, One God.

My host father is the pastor of a Christian church of about 300 here in San Ramon. It was the church's fifth anniversary today and I went with my family to the service.
Over breakfast my father told me the gist of the sermon and gave me a handout of his sermon notes in Spanish so I could follow along. He is so kind. The service was great, the worship was fun, and it was clear to me that God was present. My father was brought to tears at the thought of the provisions of God over the last years and for the body he has brought together here in San Ramon. I love that the body of Christ extends beyond language barriers, national borders, and cultural customs. I received many hugs and kisses from total strangers welcoming me into their body and community. How beautiful!
After church I went to lunch with Fede, my host father. Again, food was fabulous. Oh, and the fruit smoothies here are to die for!
I was then commissioned to pick out a present for a three year old girl who's birthday party we would be attending that afternoon. Haha! It was fun to see more of San Ramon and I later learned we did well - the birthday girl loved her gift!
The party was very fun. I spoke with several individuals, but mainly just listened and tried to soak in as much Spanish as I could. It is amazing to me how my family has welcomed me into their world and included me in everything they do. And I keep having the realization that their world is just like my world in the states, except with a different language (and different pinata candy! Haha!).
We had a mellow rest of the afternoon at home, as we were all very tired. During this time Fede and I had an amazing conversation about the kingdom of God on earth, what it means to have our identity in Christ, and what God calls us to do and be. So cool. =D
We ate a light dinner of sweet, spiced milk (I don't really know what it was. Chai? Haha!) and toast, tortilla chips with beans and pico de gallo, cake, and pancakes. It was pretty much a tea party with left over carb-y foods. Lol! I don't know, but it was very relaxed and enjoyable. During the meal I had a great sense of peace and belonging - like I finally have settled into the family and they get me. Praise God!

Now for sleep.
Classes begin tomorrow!

With peace and joy,
Hannah

0 comments:

Post a Comment