I am going to warn you, if you do not have quite a chunk of time you may not be able to handle this post. Haha! Today was an amazingly full day!
My day started at 8am with a shower and the normal morning biz.
I had a meeting on campus at 9, walked around town and shopped with Lindsay from 9:30-10:30, and then went home and made myself lunch at 11 (the entire house has been full of sickies and over-exhausted parents so meals are "fend for yourself").
I met my Tica friend, Yorleni, at the bus stop at 11:30am and we caught the first bus to Palmares at noon. Yorleni and I spent the afternoon together in two small towns in the county of San Ramon - Palmares and Atenas. Both were very beautiful and were really fun to explore. We first visited Atenas. The ride was breathtaking (yet windying...Fede warned me before I left that there were 76 curves in 13 miles! Haha! Yikes!). Everything was so green, lush, and vibrant. Along the way, Yorleni kept pointing out all the fruit trees and telling me tidbits about her family and what she knew about the area.
We arrived in Atenas at about 1pm and spent the next two and a half hours walking around town and seeing the central market, library, school, park, church, neighborhoods, cemetery, monuments, and districts. It was a lot of fun to see a different town and a joy to get to know Yorleni better.
After all the walking, we were exhausted and unbelievably hot, so we bought popsicles and cold drinks and relaxed in the park. We thoroughly enjoyed the shade, people watching, and each other's company.
At 3:30pm we took a bus back to Palmares and walked its streets. We visited the school, the fire station (and it's adorable dog), the church, the central park, and town's downtown district. The church in Palmares was dramatic and absolutely beautiful! I think it is the most beautiful church I have seen yet. =) The park in Palmares was also very cool. The canopy was lush and animals (primarily birds and squirrels) filled the treetops - squawking and scrambling in the branches! Yorleni told me that the park also has a lot of sloths, although we were not able to see one today.
In order to return to San Ramon before dark, we took the bus back at 5pm. Because Yorleni lives in the district near Palmares, I told her she did not need to travel with me. She smiled and told me she would not be tranquilo (relaxed) until she knew I was home safe and that she preferred to come along. She is SOOOO sweet. =) While we were riding back, a man jumped on the bus at one of the bus stops and began selling cookies. They were like shortbread with a chewy coconut topping. Yum yum. I bought one for both Yorleni and I and we nibbled, smiled, and chatted our way back to San Ramon.
When we were safely back in San Ramon, I gave Yorleni a big hug and told her muchisimo gracias for the amazing trip! She smiled and said she had, had lot of fun too. What a blessing she has been to me already. To top it all off, about twenty minutes after parting ways, Yorleni texted me this message: "Today was one of the most exciting day in my life! Thanks for all =) I enjoyed it a lot =)" So fun!
Once home, I quickly dropped off my stuff at home and headed to campus to meet friends.
As if my day hadn't been cool enough already, there was this stunning sunset!
My classmates and some Tico friends and I spent the next few hours enjoying the Independence Day festivites at the park. The night of the fourteenth consists of music, traditional dances, and a lantern parade. The tradition is that on the night before the letter of independence was signed, the torch of independence, which started in Guatemala, was carried all the way down through Central America. On this night, as independence drew closer, all the houses had lanterns hung outside. Tonight's ceremony was beautiful - families brought homemade lanterns and, after singing the national anthem, paraded them through the streets. The lanterns were made of wood, paper, plastic, fruits, etc. It was quite a sight to see! =)
After the parade was over, most of the group went home to work on homework and eat dinner. Ellie, Jose (Tico friend), and I wanted to hang out longer so we went to a small restaurant across from the park. Ellie and I got salads (it seems I am always craving greens since they are not readily served with homemade meals) and Jose ordered a popsicle. Hah! =) After devouring our salads, Ellie and I each got a delicious popsicles too. Jose ordered another one and the three of us wandered through the park licking our yummy desserts. As we finished off the popsicles we sat down and began talking. (Jose is a great help when it comes to learning Spanish - he is very willing to help and is not afraid to correct you.) We spent the next hour seated in the park talking, laughing, and listening to the festivities run on.
At 8pm, Jose needed to catch the bus so he said his goodbyes and Ellie and I headed home. Before Ellie and I had even left the park, our conversation turned to matters of the heart. Check out the page for more. =)
To conclude my evening, Fede and I talked for nearly an hour. We talked about our faith, Christianity, and the religious climate of Costa Rica. I heard more of Fede's story and his call to come to San Ramon. I loved what he shared so I will now share it with you. =) When Fede felt that God was calling him to be a pastor here he remembers telling God three things: 1) I believe in you. 2) I no longer have hope in organized religion or missionaries. 3) If you want me to be a pastor, change my heart (at this time he was so turned off by what he knew of pastors and christian missionary organizations that he knew God would need to work within him and give him new hope and understanding). Upon arriving in San Ramon, Fede remembers having three more distinct thoughts. The one that stood out to me the most was his plea to God to be able to see things as God sees them (including people). Fede wanted to be willing to do what God had for him here and he wanted to see the people, the church, and the future according to God's will. To conclude our conversation, Fede talked about his hopes and dreams for the church here in San Ramon. One ministry he is particularly eager to begin is one that targets students of UCR. He wants it to be a means of giving back to the community and a way to serve the entire country (as students come from all over to study at UCR's San Ramon campus). His idea is to provide the church facility as a place to study, hang out, and possibly receive free lunch. He wants the doors to be open and the church to be, first and foremost (before the students ever even hear the gospel) a place to find safety and caring people. He said, "I would really love to find one person who wants to start that ministry." At this, I looked Fede straight in the eyes and said, "Maybe it's me." I have no idea at this time what God has in store for my year off before physical therapy school, but ever since arriving here I have had a strong sense that God may want me back here in Costa Rica. Fede looked back at me with softness and said, "Maybe that is why you are here." Wow. I will wait. I will pray. I will see. God is too great for me to comprehend, but I trust that his plan for my future is perfect and I will wait upon him alone for direction. Who knows, maybe I will being starting and running a college ministry here in San Ramon within the year!
About Me
- Hannah
- Hannah Fugle
SKYPE: hannahfugle
EMAIL: hfugle@calpoly.edu
Search This Blog
Followers
Powered by Blogger.
Powered by WordPress
©
Pura Vida - Designed by Matt, Blogger templates by Blog and Web.
Powered by Blogger.
Powered by Blogger.
0 comments: