The Act of Communion

Today I enjoyed a three hour lunch and chatting session with Yorleni. When we were returning from Palmares several weeks ago, Yorleni had told me about a small, inexpensive café that was the only place she had ever eaten at in San Ramón. Upon further discussion, I learned that it was largely because she could not afford anywhere else. Many of the students that are from out of the area are poorer and choose to bring their lunch from home or purchase cheap snacks at convenient stores. At this I told Yorleni that some time I would love to treat her to lunch. She smiled and thanked me.
So, today was going to be the day we got lunch out. But, once I began texting Yorleni she told me she might be ashamed. I told her there was not need, but offered we have lunch at my house instead. The plan quickly shifted and we instead enjoyed lunch in the comfortable, relaxed setting of my house.
Yorleni arrived at my house at noon and we sat down to arroz con pollo and platanos. Yorleni told me that her family has a plantain tree and the family always gets very excited when it begins producing. The plantains produced by their tree are the only ones they consume - they prefer to use their money to purchase proteins at the market and eat fruits according to harvest available on their property.
I watched Yorleni take platano and platano...she was a happy girl and it made me happy as well. =)
After lunch I offered Yorleni a galleta and she began bashedly smiling and said, "Yes". We enjoyed our cookies and finished off the peach iced tea we had been served. =)
Once we were done and sufficiently full, we moved into the front room and chatted for the next two hours! Yorleni is the cutest - she had purchased a small memo pad (just like mine) to write down new concepts and vocabulary from our conversation. This afternoon our conversation flowed through a spattering of topics including professions, our families, cultural fashion trends and differences.
While Yorleni was walking out the door I was overcome with such joy and peace. She is so gentle and dear and I sense she feels comfortable and welcome in both my home and presence. =)

Again, the gifts of the Lord shine brightly before me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment